The Chief Inclusion Officer will champion, promote and guide the Company’s inclusion and diversity initiatives across our growing global footprint in a way that is unique and authentic to The Shift Network. This position will report to the Chief Executive Officer and work closely with the Chief Impact Officer and the Human Resources Department. This role is integral to the company, our culture, and the interactions and experiences of The Shift Network community, and we are committed to reflect the world around us.
This position is a senior leader who serves as a catalyst to leverage best practices and resources, to promote a culture of inclusion where individuals from all racial and ethnic identities, ages, nationalities, social and economic status, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, religious, political and ideological perspectives, and physical and mental abilities are able to thrive and be engaged.
This position will also focus on making Shift’s faculty and speaker pool and marketing efforts more inclusive, as well as co-create new programmatic initiatives that address areas of cultural change and healing that relate to transforming racism and social justice.
Note: You must be a resident of CA or OR to be considered for this opportunity.
- Work closely and partner with the Executive Team and HR to develop and drive forward the key diversity, equity and inclusion strategies, initiatives, and best practices of the organization
- Help shape The Shift Network’s equity strategy and guide our efforts, holding up a mirror to reflect and support our efforts to improve, and also hold us accountable when we fail
- Lead or identify trainings to best educate staff
- Inform and empower employees and Executive team to create organizational change
- Partner with Executive Team and collaborate and make recommendations on philanthropy and societal impact programs
- Partner with, advise and collaborate with HR to help develop more rigorous means to attract and retain diverse employee populations and develop and implement recruitment and retention strategies focus on building a more diverse workforce
- Partner with the Marketing Team for communications to ensure awareness and to communicate our commitment, our practices, and our accomplishments
- Develop communication systems to share best practices, highlight bright spots, and keep staff apprised of key initiatives and activities including leadership of our Diversity, Equity, Inclusion Committee
- Oversee consciousness-raising efforts, including review of or drafting of articles for The Shift Catalyst newsletter, and join in community building meetings with other Executive team members
- Strategically align with outside organizations to help augment our strategy and push beyond ‘best practices” to innovate and create ground-breaking thought-leadership
- Potential to host or lead online summits, programs or in-person initiatives that advances Shift’s objectives to make a positive contribution in this area
Qualifications, Characteristics & Desired Skills:
- Subject Matter Expert on Diversity, Inclusion & Belonging and demonstrated understanding of cultural values and norms of various communities and particularly of communities of color and LGBTQ+
- Minimum 3 years experience developing and implementing diversity/equity/inclusion programs
- Demonstrated cultural awareness and agility and ability to build trust, credibility and navigate a complex landscape
- Proven track record of success engaging with communities of color and LGBTQ+ communities
- Ability to challenge and influence peers to approach all work with an equity lens
- Keen interest in our course and summits content and alignment to the vision of the Company
- Leader in building community positive through positive influence
- Builder of strategic plans stemming from core principles
- A proven track record of success from strategy to implementation in building programs, improving leadership capability, contributing knowledge across the organization, and developing concrete workplans
- Comfortable reviewing Diversity and Inclusion research, and applying principles from relevant research into a business setting
- Motivated and energized to represent The Shift Network through public speaking engagements both internally and externally
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills with experience in multiple communication modes, including social media, with the ability to articulate the importance of inclusion and diversity to our broader audience
- Keen ability to remain solution-focused and respectful in all interactions with staff, co-workers, vendor, clients and faculty
- BS/BA degree or equivalent experience; MBA is a plus